Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christ(mix)

What makes a great cd mix? Is it the variety of songs? The theme of the cd? How catchy the songs are? How the songs make you feel? None of these, all of these? It is a tough question. I don't really know the answer to what makes a cd mix great or spectacular, but I recently received one of the best mixes I've been exposed to in a while and it has many of the qualities I find pertinent to good mixes:
1) It's Christmas music (I love Christmas music)
2) The music sticks with you (I find myself humming many of the songs when I'm not listening to the cd)
3) The music is very positive and makes me happy
4) I want to do good things (Christmas related) for others when I listen to the songs
5) They are fun to sing along with
6) Some make me laugh because they are cheesy/over the top (thank you Mariah)/strange (Busta Rhymes and Bieber??)/or talk about hippopotamuses (I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, is this a metaphor?)
7) It's Christmas music
8) The Killers are involved
9) The music reminds you of someone or something (the nostalgia factor)
10) It's Christmas music

Here are my short thoughts along with the singer/song of one of the best mixes I've ever had the pleasure of listening to:

1. Oh Santa. Maria Carey-Strong solid opening song from Mariah, catchy, fun, multiple Santa references, everything you want in a Christmas song

2. Mistletoe.Justin Bieber- I love when 5'4 teeny boppers call other people shawty (I know shawty means girl, it's still funny to me). This song does tug at the heart strings though, makes you want to procure some mistletoe immediately and find a special someone

3) Only Thing I Ever Get for Christmas.Justin Bieber- More mistletoe references, more heart strings being tugged

4) Fa La La.Justin Bieber-Boyz to Men help out on this track, which is always a plus. Some easy rhymes in this one, holly/jolly, fa/la. Bieber isn't bringing it on this track like his other ones, Boyz to Men represent though

5) All I want is You.Justin Bieber-Christmas love songs can be very sentimental, I feel like Beiber opened up my chest and took these lyrics out of my heart. He has a special gift that Bieber.

6) Home this Christmas.Justin Bieber-Stay out of my heart and mind Bieber!!

7) The Christmas Song.Justin Bieber/Usher-Beautiful duet by these two. When I picture them singing this song to each other it makes it kind of funny. I would have picked a female to sing this song with. Thoughts of Usher and Bieber hanging out on Christmas Eve singing this song to each other is a bit of a stretch, but hey, why not?

8) Little Drummer Boy.Justin Bieber/Busta-YES YES YES. Listened to this song three times in a row. You can hear Busta in the background leading up to his verse making various references to fireplaces and saying 'yeah' a lot. Busta talks about food (no surprise), rapping (less of a surprise), and Christmas (big surprise). Thanks for this great tag team.

9) A Great Big Sled.The Killers-Do I love the Killers? Yes. They make a new Christmas song every year that comes out on Dec. 1 to support the RED campaign to help with the eradication of AIDS. This is my second favorite of their six Christmas songs. It offers nostalgia, catchy tune, Christmas, and it's the Killers. Love it.

10) Happy Birthday Guadalupe. The Killers-Very good Killers song. The first Happy Birthday/Christmas song (they do mention Christmas, decking the halls, wishing upon Christmas trees, and Mexican angels). So good!

11) Merry Christmas Happy Holiday. N Sync-Who would have thought that N Sync stood for In synchronization? Thank you google. (Joke, I actually did already know this). This is a great holiday tune.

12) My Only Wish.Britney Spears-This is one of my favorite songs on the mix. It is so catchy and happy. It reminds of a better Britney, a less tainted Britney. So that helps with the nostalgia factor. This song may have gotten a repeat or two.

13) All I want for Christmas Is you. Mariah Carey-Mairah+Christmas=guaranteed good time. This is also one of my favorite tracks on the mix. Very fun, very upbeat, very Mariah.

14) Last Christmas. Wham-The synthesizer song! That's how I originally referred to it upon first listen. Very 80's ish (probably because it's from the mid-80's) and that explains the synthesizers. I want to slow dance to this song right now.

15) Feliz navidad-Christmas classic, the mix would not be complete without this gem. I do think there are only 3-4 lines in this whole song, but that enables everyone to sing it.

16) Melekalikimaka.Bing Crosby-Many people didn't know Christmas existed in Hawaii before this song, Bing set the record straight back in the 40's. We're grateful to him.

17) Baby it's cold outside-Nice chill song about Christmas, I like it. I hadn't heard it in many years. I don't know how it would be as a karaoke song, but that doesn't really matter. But as you listen, think about doing karaoke with someone on this song. It's A Capella in many parts and would be quite interesting to sing this with someone.

18) Grown Up Christmas List. Amy Grant-My mom had Amy Grant's Christmas cd when I was young and would always listen to it. Very nostalgic for me. I like the message to this song and Amy does a good job. I think of one of my good friends who always tried to be friends to everyone when I listen to this song.

19) The Gift. Collin Raye-I had never heard this song before, but I really really like it. It makes me think of people who have been gifts in my life. There have been many.

20) Oh Holy Night. Mariah Carey-If you aren't looking at who is singing this song when it first comes on, you will think it is a man for approximately the first two seconds of this song. Just wait until the end though, DIVA time!! Awesome.

21) I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. Gayla Peevey-Speechless. I almost skipped this track and it turned out better than I thought. Funny song.

22) Suzy Snowflake-Great ending track to one of the great Christmas mixes. I want to do this for my next karaoke appearance. It will catch people off guard, it is a good song, and there's a great interlude where a dance number can be interjected.

So, there you have it. One of the best Christmas mixes around. These songs have helped me feel the Christmas spirit, experience an appropriate amount of nostalgia, and get my heart strings tugged at way too much. I hope you've enjoyed the track by track break down. Enjoy this Christ(mix) and have a Merry Christmas.


No comments: