Sunday, September 14, 2008

China

My recent morose mood on life causes me to reflect on where I am going and what I am doing. I feel somewhat unsatisfied in my endeavors, especially recently with most of my best friends pursuing their lady loves and making that "next step" in life. I had a lengthy discussion with my friend Dantley the other day about taking the marriage step after the mission and the pressure often associated with it. I mentioned to him how a young man in my home ward recently returned home from a mission and proposed the very next week to his bride to be. Dantley had some harsh criticisms of this move, but I can understand it. Now, I am aware I should engage in an engagement to a young female as my next step, but I don't feel like there should be a time frame associated with this step, as there often seems to be within the Mormon culture. This background sketch leads me to my current desire to live in Asia and particularly China as soon as I can after graduation. I don't know if I am ready for such a move, but what worries me more is finding someone compatible with me who will be ready to take on such a task. For seven years I have felt a strong pull to live in the orient, as I feel my talents and strengths can be used effectively in that realm of the world. I talked to another friend this week and was surprised to learn of his similar desire to live abroad in Asia. I feel like ours is a generation being prepared to ready that land for the gospel and participate in the ushering in of a marvelous work there. I knowingly accept that this will be a hard and trying time for many of us. What worries me in the courting arena is finding someone who is always positive and willing to take on such challenges. Someone who challenges themselves in their daily lives to be better and serve their fellow man. Perhaps my endeavors may continue on a personal level for a few years, but I also understand that I need to not judge or sell anyone short of such charitable capabilities.

No comments: