Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gating


(Two Guys just playing in the snow)








(A rare woman in our midst)

Gating is what I call when you date guys, but not intentionally, that would be gayting. Anyway, I was musing about this topic the other day and this is exactly what happened to my roommates and me last year. Most weekend nights we subconsciously weighed our options about what we would do. There was always the pressure to go out on dates, but for some reason our cost-benefit intuition kicked in and we decided it would just be better to hang out with each other. I mean, why would we want to go on awkward first dates or spend money on someone else when we knew that we would have guaranteed fun with each other. We spent many a night at the nickel arcade, dollar theaters, or at home watching Jazz games. Some of the best times of my life with my best friends of all time. I think a lot of people subconsciously do this, but I noticed it in my life a lot last year. Having two of my best buds not live with me this year has of course changed my perspective and made it a lot easier to date, visit the sick and elderly (mostly my grandparents), and read of the best books. Having my best friends close around was one of the best times of my entire life, but I realized that the marginal benefits from this lifestyle were small and amount to little in my current life. I would never trade those times, but I am grateful for the position that I now find myself in. Gating can be a good thing and most of the time a fun thing, but I've learned to limit these interactions.


Gaters!!! (Guy daters)

4 comments:

leigh said...

beav needs to work on his ceiling kicks

Unknown said...

haha i totally understand this. it wasn't until i found myself secluded in the basement that i realized this. gating = guy dating, but is it both ways? girl dating?

Monica said...

niiiiiiiiiice!!!! yes. why yes I do have a blog. I openly admit to being a blogger....

Brian said...

Hooray for sausage parties!