Friday, March 6, 2009

Gun Guy

I have never desired to possess a weapon, except when I saw Lord of the Rings and looked in the really big sword market for a while. However, recently I really want a gun. Talk on the political circuit is that they are trying to outlaw any gun with a detachable magazine, which would limit the types of sweet guns that people can purchase. I think that with the threat of guns being banned, I am more inclined to get one now. It's like when a movie you kind of wanted to see is at the dollar theater and it's your last chance to see it on the big screen. You go and see it even though it was never really a priority before. The one exception being when they put the Start Wars movies on the big screen in the late 90's, but that won't happen for all cinema attractions. Anyway, I think a gun would make me look more manly, telling people that I own a gun would sure to be a great subject topic, guns bring safety. So those are a few of my reasons why I want a gun, that coupled with them possibly leaving are huge motivation. Concealed weapon's permits are cheap and I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning than learning about guns. I have been talking to many of my colleagues lately and they have been extremely informative as well. One man even saved a families life because he had his gun on him. This all leads me to wonder why guns are being prohibited. If you limit the number of guns available, then criminals are more likely to commit crimes, because there is no deterrent. In other words, people aren't likely to break into a house where there is the possibility of the owner owning a gun and using it on an intruder. The introduction of fear deters people. In a town in Georgia it is strongly encouraged for every male 18 years old and older to have a concealed weapon. Guess what the homicide rate is for that town. One in the last 100 years. That's a pretty effective mechanism for dropping crime rates. So, while I don't want a gun to use I do think it would be effective in convincing girls that I am tough, just by saying I have a gun. This is probably the biggest reason why (tongue in cheek here). Not really for that reason, but events are taking place that are moving me in the direction of owning a gun.

3 comments:

Kellee Marie Cook said...

guns scare me. and they kill people. I'm not convinced. a REAL man could induce fear by being able to kill a bear. or a bear-like intruder. I'd recommend going to the gym before getting a gun. just saying.

Brian said...

I can totally relate with your desire to own a gun. It's kinda like my constantly being tempted to smoke pot. I've never smoked the kind herb before, but the temptation to rebel and smoke has provided me with a constant source of energy to accomplish many of the things I've done in my life. I'm scared that if they legalize pot, the temptation won't provide near as much energy and I'll end up settling for a life of mediocrity.

Unknown said...

Big Kat - I stumbled across your blog while I was searching for pictures of Siamese cats. I saw this entry that you thought I would probably never see and now I have to comment. Number one, the NRA would have you believe that Democrats are trying to take away your right to own a gun. Not true. People who believe in gun control believe there is a limit to what weapons people should have access to. I think you and I can both agree that we wouldn't want Ted Kazinski to have weapons grade plutonium. Well you have to draw the line somewhere between what the military should have and what the public should have. Believe me that you will always have the ability to purchase a handgun. Second, there is another place where every citizen has a gun - every citizen - Afghanistan. It seems like a strong gun culture there has done wonders for keeping down crime. We pay cops the big bucks to keep our streets clean. The last thing we need is everyone out there being Joe Vigilante... just saying... but I love you anyway. BTW, now that I have left crazy comments on your blog you can leave crazy comments on Amanda's - amandaanddanny.blogspot.com