Saturday, March 28, 2009

Testing Out

As my college career comes to a close I find that my test taking ability has declined precipitously. I liken it to an ink blot test, where you see black ink on a page and you say the first thing that comes to your mind. On a side note, I think that 40 percent of ink blots look like butterflies. I realized this after taking a test yesterday. There were 70 multiple choice questions and a two page fill in the blank portion. I finished the test in less than 35 minutes. The average test time in my class was bordering on an hour. I do not know if I just do not care how i do on tests anymore or if i have become so trustworthy of my first instincts that I just go with it. I figure that combined with my study methods, this is not the best route to take. Here is my justification, I can study for one hour and get a B on a test, it would take me about 5-6 hours to study hard enough to get an A. I just cannot justify 4 more hours of studying for a marginal increase in my grade. It's the law of diminishing returns, and what I can accomplish in those four hours is of far greater worth than a slight increase in grade. My favorite ink blot, because it is so easy "Giant Panda attacking human kind"

3 comments:

Ben said...

Guy, I had the same experience yesterday. I had to take the final for HEPE, which I had been taking through independent study. They said the average time is 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and I was out in thirty minutes. All I kept telling myself was, "I need sixty out of the hundred questions correct to pass the class." I got 75, which gave me a B+ in the class.

I hate tests.

Unknown said...

hahaha have you seen the sneezing panda on youtube? probably. that's what the picture reminds me of.

Monica said...

hahaha ink blots. das funny. I love pandas.Here are a few interesting facts for you about Pandas I think you will appreciate.
1. Did you know that the Giant Panda's teeth are approximately 7 times bigger than human teeth
2. Giant panda mommies are 900 times bigger than their new born cubs
3. Giant Pandas sit or lie down when they eat
4. Under the giant panda's white fur, their skin is black, and under the white fur, there is pink skin
5. The sounds made by pandas are called bleats, honks, and growls.
The end.