Saturday, July 12, 2008

Are you Mormon?

This past Monday I was in Taiwan running around the city and having a great old time. I wandered to the Chiang Kai Shek memorial and tried taking pics of myself. The pics didn't turn out how I desired, so I asked a man if he would take a picture of me in front of one of the beautiful memorials. He accepted my proposition and asked out of nowhere if I was a Mormon. I gaily laughed at his inquiry and said, "why yes, I am a Latter-day Saint." I asked him how he knew and he attempted in vein to respond coherently. Something about him seeing a Mormon bible in the U.S. once upon a time when he studied there. His English was not entirely understandable, but I found his question humorous. I would never ask someone out of the blue if he was a Mennonite, or Presbyterian. How is it that someone would ask that. I was dressed in a white shirt and tie, but so were hundreds of other people in the city. If I saw a man in an orange smock I would assume he was Buddhist. If I saw a man in a brown tunic I would assume he was also a clergy man, or perhaps a friar if it was 500 hundred years ago. These are generalizations, but I believe they are quite obvious. The audacity to ask someone if they are of a particular sect is peculiar to me, but then we are a peculiar people. I took the question in good spirit and later was pleased that I was recognized for what I am and what I was portraying. This was a lesson in comportment and more significantly countenance and demeanor. What an honor to be asked such a question. However, I don't believe that I will ask the next person I see if they are Lutheran. There is no way to tell the difference, but I'm glad the world recognizes a Mormon in a group of faces.

No comments: