Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Failed Finger Foods

Last night I reverberated to juvenile humor in attempts to be the "life of the party" at a work event. I retrospectively condemn my failures and describe some of them in detail here.

First of all I thought it funny to write summer intern on my name tag and introduced myself as summer intern throughout the whole night. This act got a few chuckles from my fellow Cathay Pacific colleagues, but others just looked confused. I think my sarcastic and feeble humor attempts were lost on many.

Now I have to explain my demeanor and actions at parties. I am always eating. If you have ever attended a party with me I will be lurking by the food at all times. I don't know why I do this, but I always like to be eating something or have something to eat when I am mingling with people.

So, next I saw some beautiful females and on further discussion learned that they were Japanese. They were dressed far better than most at the party and I was intrigued when I first saw them. I started with the same bad jokes about being 18 and attending a hair school in Hong Kong for the summer. These were failed bits of dialogue and I again felt cheap in my comedic actions. I righted myself a little bit and talked normally for once to these beautiful ladies and then finally moved on to other tom-foolery.

My next try at being funny was eating as much as possible. A small plate of brownies came by and I grabbed three at one time and threw them into my mouth at the bewilderment of three Indian females standing on the other side of the platter. One of the ladies kept pointing out to me the rest of the night whenever the brownie plate was being taken around. I made a huge mistake. Throughout the rest of the night I would grab food and call over the waiters instead of them coming to me. Why I thought this would be funny I don't know, but I regretted it in more than one way. I was bemused at my follies for bad humor and my stomach was in shambles all the way home.

I guess that I dodged a bullet though, they would probably not be prepared for my eccentric dancing.

3 comments:

year.of.the.dolphin said...

oh my word. i guess some humor doesn't penetrate all cultural barriers. it'll be good to have you back in the states.

Unknown said...

hahhaa WHO ARE YOU!? haa this makes me feel like we need to sit down and have a discussion about "times and places" for everything. You are crazy. But i'm kinda proud...we miss you here!!!

Jenna Robert said...

Thank you dearly for adding that third comment on my blog, otherwise I never would have been able to have this post suffice as a very pleasant bedtime story, which definitely came to be when the brownies entered the story. Thank you, merci, gracias.