Sunday, November 30, 2008

Recent Reads

I didn't get any homework done this entire weekend, but I did get the chance to finish three books. I have been wanting to read them all for quite some time and I finally go t the chance. Catcher in the Rye was good, about a young lad who has a proclivity for cursing and contradicts himself more than a local weather man, but an interesting read and has some funny phrases (i.e. Did you give her the time?) I'm going to start using that term liberally in my speech.I finished this book a little post-maturely, if that is even a phrase. Yes, I know McCain was defeated in the recent election, but this book is an interesting read for anyone interested in Navy lore and stories. I was disappointed in the sketchy character of young Johnny Mac, not quite the winsome man that we now witness on tv. I enjoy war tales, so this was a good look at the men behind some of the biggest decisions in Americas largest battles over the last century.

Amazing book. If you have read Blink or The Tipping Point you will understand how interesting these books are. Outliers is no different and offers an interesting view into what makes people successful in the world. It also offers some interesting ideas for rearing children and giving them opportunities to make them extremely smart. It also helped me to review my life and notice the opportunities that I have given and what to do with them. He also makes interesting correlations between the Beatles and Bill Gates, and how they achieved success. This was my favorite of the three and if anyone is interested in reading this book, let me know and I'll hook you up.

1 comment:

Amy W. said...

Malc is money in the literary bank. His publications are genius. I will search for Outliers on the World Wide Web immediately following this comment.