Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksbirthday

It isn't very often that a man gets to sit down and enjoy his birthday on one of the major holidays of the year. That was the case this year as I shared the celebration of my birth with the celebration of native americans giving pilgrims maize, amongst other things. So, I attempted to look at my life and see all of the ways that I can apply indian principles in my life. First of all, I can give maize to anyone in need, especially hungry people. I figure the best way to do this is to have my pockets constantly full of the stuff so that at any moment's notice I will be able to fish out some of this food and give it to whoever asks. Second of all, I will become proficient with the bow, but not the bow that is commonly associated with the native americans. No, I will focus on the bow used to translate the book of Mormon, the one that Joseph Smith inserted the seer stones into to look (peep) through and decipher those ancient hieroglyphics. This bow will obviously provide positive returns for me and my study of ancient texts in the future. Third, with India growing so rapidly on the international scene with the advent of globalization and the flattening of the modern technological world it is becoming increasing difficult to distinguish between Indians from India and Indians of the native american origin. Really, this is a perplexing issue for me anyway, because when Columbus arrived in the Americas it should have taken him all of five minutes to realize that he had not landed in India via a faster sea-route. So, why didn't he change the name of this indigenous people? Any name would have suited them better, Squawks, Reds, TimTims, but because of his error we are stuck with the awkward question in contemporary speech to ask people to clarify what Indian they are referring to. This all could have been cleared up many years ago and there needs to be a suitable way to reform this nomenclature. A fourth item that I will try to implement into my way of life is to eliminate xenophobia from my life, this is also known as the fear of foreigners. I know there are perplexing issues involving illegal immigration and even legal immigration in this day and age, but I vow to not be scared of foreigners, just like the native americans, and teach them and help them in any way that I can until they eventually overrun me from my way of life as was the case with the pilgrims. So there you have it. Some birthday lessons that I learned on this glorious day and the things that I am going to try and change in my life. Thank you for all the birthday greetings!!

3 comments:

Ben said...

Guy, how the heck did I not know you had your own blog?!

Great plans of implementation; I think they are very appropriate for your thanksbirthday. I especially enjoyed your fourth point--not just for the principle, but because of your use of the word xenophobia. That word has always been a favorite of mine, and I think we need to implement more words that start with x's into our vocabulary.

Kellee Marie Cook said...

if you want to get over your fear of foreigners, come live at my apartment. I've got 2. they're great.

brooke said...

it took me all this time to figure out that your birthday isn't alllways on thanksgiving.....right? i guess i should know, as a fellow sometimes-bday-on-holidayer, as my birthday sometimes falls on mothers day